Weird Sky Phenomenon over Greenwood, Indiana (Video)

Witness: “On June 12, I was out riding my bicycle and a storm was approaching, then this strange light caught my eye so I pulled out my phone and shot this video.”

“I had no idea what it was until I did some research when I got home and found out that it's called Haarp, a government research program. Take a closer look at the beginning of the video right when the beam disappears for a second it moves part of the cloud upwards then comes back.”

Although it is a rare and spectacular phenomenon, it has nothing to do with Haarp.

According to discovermagazine, it is a cumulonimbus cloud and its outer surface of ice crystals can hold a static electric charge.

When placed in an electric field, the charges feel a force on them, and align themselves along the field.

Some of the ice crystals are bending light toward the camera, and when the field snaps they rearrange themselves.

 

Below a video of this phenomenon captured in 2011.