Strange lights in the sky over the Netherlands

Witness recorded with his phone strange lights in the sky in the South of the Netherlands on February 2, 2016.

Witness states: I filmed this with my phone from inside the car. Can anyone explain to me what I was just looking at?


The Dutch news websites immediately explain it as being "polar stratospheric clouds" but I did not see any other different colors that are specific with polar stratospheric clouds.

Polar stratospheric clouds also known as nacreous clouds are colorful clouds in the winter polar stratosphere at altitudes of 15,000–25,000 meters (49,000–82,000 ft).

The cloud formation with the three lights/objects is quite different if you compare it with a specific polar stratospheric cloud.


Witness added some stills and contrast effects to enhance the pictures, but the video footage itself is unedited.