UFO Sightings: Remarkable Eyewitness Reports #18

On November 8,1978, Mrs. Cathy Wilfong and her sister Mrs. Cindy Bridges viewed a UFO near Greenfield, Indiana. 

You could say they had very good proof that they did see something unidentified by the large imprint, about 140 feet long, that was left in their soybean field in the back of their home. 

It was around 9:00 PM when Cindy went out to get some firewood, when she noticed a big fiery light coming down towards the soybean field. When she went to investigate what the object was, she became frightened and started screaming for Cathy to come out and look at this thing that was coming down towards the field. 

Cathy knew something was wrong when she heard the screaming and her dog, Babe, barking wildly. When she saw the object coming down she couldn't believe it. Although frightened, Cathy ran to the garage to get her camera. When she couldn't find her camera she ran into the house petrified. 

At this time Cindy was in the camper watching the object from the inside. She stayed in the camper for an estimated time of 4 minutes. When she noticed Cathy running into the house she decided she had better go into the house too. 

After calling the Sheriff's Department, Cathy then called her mother who lives 6 miles away from the Wilfong residence; she came immediately and saw the lights of the UFO as it departed. (She watched these lights as she drove towards their house, and first saw them from 4 to 5 miles away as she approached on state road 209.) The Wilfong's live 8 miles from the Sheriffs office, but it took them at least 30 minutes to get to the house from the time Cathy called. 

Upon the Deputy's arrival they informed Cathy that what they had seen was a "helicopter." This so-called "helicopter" made no sound whatsoever, had no propeller so it just naturally threw no propwash, did not have any night flying navigational beacon as required by FAA regulations, and was 120 to 140 feet long. 

As described by the witnesses, the UFO was oblong, very, very huge with a kind of greenish-dray color. (See sketch.) It had three lights, one red and two white. The UFO did not have any sound, and it moved flying sideways behind the barn and then took off flying front ways. 

Cathy stated, "the thing moved like it was in slow motion. It was very huge with three lights. There was some kind of circle in the middle of the bottom or underneath side. The whole time we watched this object, we could only see the bottom side." The estimated time they viewed the object was 40 minutes. 

This UFO incident attracted the attention of the Center for UFO Studies in Evanston, Illinois. They sent out one of their investigators, Allan Hendry, who is the top field investigator for the Center. Hendry stated, "This sighting was one of the two most significant sightings the Center has examined in 1978. 

Due to the fact that this sighting was at such a close range by two credible witnesses and also due to the physical evidence the UFO left, which was the impression in their soybean field." Hendry went on to state, "The impression left in the field is similar to 'Saucer Nests' found and reported in Australia and elsewhere in the World, also indicated the UFO never did touch the ground." The stems in the bean field were not uprooted at all, and the stems were intertwined and matted together. 

The case also was investigated by MUFON Field Investigator, Arthur Morros of Zionsville, Indiana."